1: Meet Nick.

He’s “a handsome, dark-haired man in his twenties,” Daniel Coyle writes in The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups.

Nick is sitting in a conference room in Seattle with three other people. “To outward appearances, he is an ordinary participant in an ordinary meeting,” Daniel notes. “This appearance, however, is deceiving. The other people in the room do not know it, but his mission … continue reading

1: As leaders, one of our most important roles is to unlock the full potential of each person on our teams.

One of the best ways to release this potential is to organize “Quality Circles,” Brian Tracy writes in his terrific book Sales Management.

This practice involves gathering our team for a specific one-hour time block each week to focus on a single question to drive “continuous and never-ending … continue reading

1: Our leadership team has gathered for our quarterly strategic planning meeting.  

We’ve done a check-in.  We’ve reviewed our annual goals for the year.  We’ve had a frank discussion about what’s working and what needs to change.  We’ve taken what we learned over the past quarter to come up with quarterly goals that will put us in a position to achieve our annual plan.

The next step is critical and perhaps unexpected.… continue reading

1: “Planning is 1 percent of the effort; execution is the other 99 percent,” write Mark Moses and his co-authors in Making Big Happen.

Once we’ve created our annual plan and communicated it across the company, our next task is critical: We must create a culture of accountability across the organization.

Which is what the Make Big Happen framework is all about.  “Before we adopted the Make Big Happen … continue reading

“Agreement is optional; commitment is not.” 

This is Ground Rule #1 for the annual planning session, write Mark Moses, Craig Coleman, Chris Larkins, and Don Schiavone in Making Big Happen: Applying The Make Big Happen System to Grow Big.

Yesterday, we looked at how to prepare for our annual planning session. Today, we look at the specific elements of a successful meeting.

Which starts with establishing … continue reading